I was involved in a hit-and-run accident, can I still get compensation?

I was involved in a hit-and-run accident, can I still get compensation?

Kentucky follows the no-fault car insurance system. This means that each driver involved in a collision turns to their insurance company to cover payments for out-of-pocket bills, medical expenses, dental and/or chiropractic costs and lost wages from being off work due to injuries. No-fault insurance does not pay for pain and suffering.

Because Kentucky does follow the no-fault car insurance system, it means that all drivers must have personal injury protection (PIP) coverage on all trucks and cars. Motorcycles are exempt. The basic coverage per person per accident is $10,000.

Kentucky’s no-fault system has an exception that allows an injured driver to sue an at-fault driver. To obtain compensation from the at-fault driver the plaintiff needs to meet the following requirements:

  • Medical bills and injuries must be $1,000 or higher
  • Injuries sustained resulted in bone fracture, permanent injury, permanent disfigurement or death

If you were involved in a hit-and-run accident, due to the complex nature of such an accident and complicated insurance coverage procedures, it would be helpful to contact an experienced hit-and-run car accident attorney at Hessig & Pohl.

Other Car Accident FAQs:

Marty fought for me when the insurance company denied my claim. We sued and got the insurance limits.


Louisville personal injury lawyer