I was in a motorcycle hit-and-run accident, what are my options?

I was in a motorcycle hit-and-run accident, what are my options?

Even though the law clearly states a driver involved in a hit-and-run accident must stay at the scene and render aid if possible, this does not always happen. If that happens to you, you might be wondering what your options are moving forward.

In Kentucky, a no fault state, most people think no-fault relates to responsibility for an accident. No-fault coverage is Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and in Kentucky, insurance on all motor vehicles, except motorcycles, must include basic PIP coverage.

Without PIP there are four options that may be open to you:

  • If you happen to purchased uninsured motorist coverage (UM), you may be able to recover compensation up to the limits of your policy. UM may also cover you if the police locate the driver who hit you only to find out that they have no insurance. UM coverage is optional. Check your policy.
  • MedPay is also optional. Check your policy. It might be something you’d like to have in the event of an accident.
  • Health insurance – if you run out your UM and MedPay coverage, you may have the option of using regular health insurance through an employer. Or, your insurance may cover some medical expenses. However, some health insurance policies exclude coverage for motor vehicle accidents.

Even if you do have a valid claim, insurance companies have been known to deny coverage that they should cover. Insurance companies want to minimize their bottom line and retain money.

In a large number of cases the police never find the hit-and-run driver. However, if they do succeed in finding them, then you can file a claim against their insurance. If you used up to your limits on UM and/or MedPay and/or health insurance, you may be able to include that in the claim.

Other Motorcycle Accident FAQs:

Marty fought for me when the insurance company denied my claim. We sued and got the insurance limits.


Louisville personal injury lawyer