I had a minor accident at work. Do I have to report it to my employer?

I had a minor accident at work. Do I have to report it to my employer?

While your accident may not seem to be a big deal, you are required to give notice to your manager/employer as soon as possible. If you do not give notice to your employer, then you may find that you are unable to file for workers’ compensation.

While your injury may seem minor at first, you cannot know how your injuries will progress. Many injuries, develop over time.

Under Kentucky law, employers are required to offer workers’ compensation. The applicable law, found in the Kentucky Revised Statutes (KRS) 342.020, states, in part, that, “the employer shall pay for the cure and relief from the effects of an injury or occupational disease the medical, surgical, and hospital treatment, including nursing, medical, and surgical supplies and appliances, as may reasonably be required at the time of the injury and thereafter for the length of time set forth in this section, or as may be required for the cure and treatment of an occupational disease.”

If you are interested in what other provisions are encoded in the KRS in relation to work accidents, you may find more information here.

Workers’ compensation law is complex, discuss your situation with an experienced workers’ compensation attorney at Hessig & Pohl. Your first consultation is free.

Other Workers’ Compensation FAQs:

Marty fought for me when the insurance company denied my claim. We sued and got the insurance limits.


Louisville personal injury lawyer