Personal Injury Lawyers in Louisville
No matter how safely and defensively you drive, other drivers on the road could be driving negligently and recklessly.
No one wants to think about getting injured. The fact is, it happens every day:
- Car and Motorcycle Accidents
- Collisions involving tractor trailers
- Slip and falls in a Walmart grocery store
- Dog bites from someone’s pet
- Items falling from high shelves in a Home Depot or Lowe’s
- And many more
All you have to do is watch the local news and you’ll see stories of injuries that should have been avoided. Did that text need to be sent? Did the employee skip a step to go on break? Did the neighborhood dog get off the leash again?
An injury can mean high doctor bills, lost work, property damage to your car and much more. If someone else was at fault, why should you have to pay the price? The fact is, you probably shouldn’t. That’s why hiring an experienced personal injury lawyer is a smart decision.
Insurance policies are complicated. Evidence may get misplaced or removed. Your landlord may threaten to evict you because you can’t pay your rent. You need someone to stand beside you and handle your case. Someone needs to help you and when you need it the most.
Hessig & Pohl was wonderful to work with. When I had questions they were always answered. When we had communication issues with the Insurance company, they stayed on the other company and got my case resolved in a timely matter. I would refer this group to everyone!
Personal Injury Frequently Asked Questions
Our injury attorneys will meet with you in or out of the office
Many families are living paycheck to paycheck. If one of your family members gets injured, things can get real serious — real quick. Our personal injury attorneys are available to meet with you wherever it’s convenient for you. We’ll come to your hospital room or your home.
We want to make this as easy as possible so that you can focus on your medical treatment. We’re there to gather the evidence. We’ll file the claims. Our injury attorneys will negotiate the settlement you deserve. We’ll even take it to trial if we think that’s the best option for your case. Most importantly, we’re there to answer your questions and give you our best advice based on years of experience.
Remember to ask about our Fee Free Guarantee!
Common Types of Personal Injury Accidents in Kentucky
The experienced personal injury lawyers at Hessig & Pohl have been standing strong for Kentucky residents for years. We work diligently for our clients who have been unjustly injured in preventable personal injury accidents. We understand that it takes courage to pursue the compensation you deserve after an accident has left you with serious injuries or caused the death of your loved one. Our personal injury lawyers work with our clients every step of the way and communicate effectively with them about the process of seeking compensation. Our legal team handles a broad range of personal injury cases, including the following:
- Slip and fall accidents
- Dog bites
- Product liability claims
- Birth injuries
- Medical malpractice
- Boating injuries
- Pedestrian accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Accident motorcycle
- Truck truck accident
- Car accidents
- Premises liability claims
- Negligent security
Catastrophic Injuries Caused by Kentucky Personal Injury Accidents
The force exerted on a person's body in a car accident is intense and can cause multiple injuries. Even when the airbag deploys correctly, the driver and passengers can suffer from broken bones and brain injuries. Some injuries are so severe that they are categorized as catastrophic. When innocent victims suffer catastrophic injuries, they often lose their ability to return to work.
Catastrophic injury victims often face months or even years of expensive medical treatment. If you have experienced a catastrophic injury due to someone else's negligence, it is crucial that you contact a lawyer as soon as possible. You do not want to miss the opportunity to bring a personal injury lawsuit against the person or company who caused your injuries. Common types of catastrophic injuries include the following:
- Spinal cord injuries
- Back and neck injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Neck injuries
- Burn injuries
- Soft-tissue injuries
- Broken bones
- Complex regional pain syndrome
How Much is My Personal Injury Claim Worth?
There is no way to precisely determine how much your personal injury claim is worth without reviewing the facts of your unique case. When you meet with one of the lawyers at Hessig & Pohl for your first consultation, we will carefully review the facts of your case. We will ask you questions about your injuries to get an idea of your overall medical expenses. Once we begin investigating your case, we will be able to determine all of your tangible costs, including your medical expenses, loss of income, property damage, and loss of ability to earn an income in the future.
In most cases, the more severe and permanent the injury, the greater the value of the case. For example, if you use the ability to use your legs or arms, or you suffer permanent, debilitating scarring, your case will be worth more. Our attorneys can help determine the value of your intangible losses, such as your pain and suffering and loss of consortium. After we have a better idea of the total value of your claim, we will begin negotiating aggressively with the insurance company or the defendant to obtain the most compensation possible for you.
Kentucky Auto Accident Lawyers
Car accidents, bicycle accidents, motorcycle accidents are among the most common types of personal injury accidents in Kentucky and throughout the United States. It is crucial that you consult with a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible after your car accident. We will begin negotiating with the insurance company so you can focus on your recovery.
Kentucky Premises Liability Lawyers
Premises liability accidents occur when a property owner or manager’s negligence causes an injury to a customer or guest. For example, if a grocery store knows about a dangerous puddle on a slippery surface and does not clean it up, the grocery store may be liable for a customer’s injuries when they slip and fall.
Damages Available in a Personal Injury Claim
When you file a personal injury lawsuit, your goal is to recover the total amount of compensation you will need to cover your damages. In Kentucky, plaintiffs can recover economic and non-economic damages. Economic damages cover quantifiable expenses related to your injuries. Noneconomic damages cover pain and suffering and other damages that are more difficult to quantify. The most common types of damages awarded in Kentucky personal injury lawsuits include the following:
- Medical expenses: The more severe injury, the more costly the medical expenses. Medical costs make up the bulk of Damages awarded in personal injury claims. As a plaintiff, you can claim your current medical expenses and the cost of future medical care. Our law firm routinely works with financial and medical experts to help us estimate how much our clients’ future medical costs will be.
- Lost income: Personal injury accident victims are often so seriously injured that they cannot return to work. Sometimes victims cannot return to work for weeks or even months. Victims who are catastrophically injured may lose the ability to work again. As a plaintiff in a personal injury lawsuit, you can claim all of your lost current and future income as damages.
- Reduced earning capacity: If you are unable to return to work because of your injuries, you can be compensated for the amount of money you will never make. Additionally, if you can return to work, but you will not be able to make as much money as you did before your accident, you can recover damages for your reduced earning capacity.
- Pain and suffering: Personal injury claims make up for the losses accident victims experience, including the pain and suffering they endure from their injuries. Recovering from serious injuries is a painful process, and victims should be compensated for their emotional and physical pain.
- Emotional distress: Becoming injured and a personal injury accident can cause extreme emotional distress. For example, if you were in a devastating car accident, you may have continued to have anxiety while driving or nightmares about the crash. You can pursue compensation for the emotional distress you experience because of that.
- Loss of consortium: Loss of consortium are damages intended to compensate you for intangible assets, such as the loss of an intimate relationship with your spouse or the loss of companionship.