My son was involved in a minor car accident with an Uber driver. Do I really need to hire an Uber accident lawyer?
Yes, it would be in your best interest to hire an experienced Uber accident attorney for more than just one reason. For example, even though an accident may seem minor and the injuries seem insignificant, they can often turn into something more serious later. Acting as your own lawyer would mean you might not get the compensation you actually deserve if you waive your rights to legal representation after the accident.
Serious injuries usually require legal counsel. These injuries include things like head trauma, bone fractures, amputations, disk herniation, disfigurement and serious burns.
The other reason representing yourself or your son is not a good idea is that Uber has different insurance rules and standards depending on the circumstances of the accident. Different insurance policies will apply to the accident depending on what phase the Uber driver was in when the accident occurred. These phases include:
Phase 1: Driver is off the app, is off-duty
Phase 2: Uber driver is logged in to the app but has not accepted a ride
Phase 3: Uber driver has accepted a ride
Furthermore, Uber does not consider its drivers as employees, drivers are considered independent contractors. These factors will significantly change the resulting compensation for damages and injuries.
It is a confusing system and for this reason it only makes sense to hire a competent, knowledgeable Uber accident lawyer who understands the insurance system and can fight to make sure you get what you are entitled to after your accident.
Other Frequently Asked Questions:
- Can I sue Uber/Lyft for a car accident involving one of their drivers?
- Do I need a lawyer if I’ve been injured in an Uber or Lyft vehicle?
- Here’s What to Know If You’re a Witness in a Deposition
- I read that there are actually some exceptions to the no-fault system? What are they?
- I was involved in an accident with an Uber driver and my insurance company said I have no-fault insurance. What does that mean?
- My neighbor was recently in an accident with an Uber driver and his attorney talked to him about Kentucky’s pure comparative statute. What does that mean?
- My son was involved in a minor car accident with an Uber driver. Do I really need to hire an Uber accident lawyer?
- What do I do if I’m in a car accident with an Uber or Lyft vehicle?
- What if my Uber/Lyft driver is at fault in the car crash?